Monday, March 11, 2013

Intro

Manhood. What is it?

According to popular culture or shall we say the not-so-pop-but-more-hick culture, a man is someone who gets drunk at the bar, drives a pickup truck, shoots guns, plays the six string, and "tries on a new woman" every day. "Pop" culture only gets worse. Tune into any typical downtown pop/rock station and it doesn't take long to pick up on their definition.

Don't those definitions bother anyone else?

I mean seriously. This thought of "what a man is" has been going strong for years. Christians have just refined some of this to make it a little more acceptable to their "church culture". To many Christians, a man is defined by driving a pick-up, shooting guns, being ripped and strong, playing the six-string, loving "your own woman" until death, and working hard "to the point of nothing left" if that is what it takes. Notice the similarities?

Are these traits and characteristics bad? No!

Are these a terrible way to define a man?

Yes. But why?

Shooting guns, driving a pick-up, and playing an instrument are not bad. Loving your wife until death, showing commitment, and working hard are things men are called to by God so why aren't they what define a man? If they are good or at least normal things, why can't we peg them into the definition of a man?

Because that is not how God defines us.

You may wonder, "ok. Good point. But... what is God's definition of being a man?" Good question. I am asking that right now. Over this next week (aka spring break, *yay* :) I intend to dig into His Word and find that definition. Why?

Because I need to be that man. Not a man of the world but a man of God, standing for Him and living a life like His.

Because as I have been surrounded by this world's culture, I've begun to believe their lies and it scares me. I need to reestablish my roots.

This journey will be hard because in some ways what God calls us to be is so counter-culture. But it will be rewarding because I know that God's Word will not return void and worthless.

Rest.

1 comment:

  1. Go for it, Jacob!! This is super important, and I can't wait to hear what God reveals to you!

    ReplyDelete